Build: diy craft island
I built this craft island for a friend.
This craft island resides in her new home in the basement (which explains the overhead lighting as there are very few small windows).
Inspired by this Houzz find:
This diy version is the perfect designated craft space for her four kids.
The top measures 56" x 56":
One drawer in each tower with 2 open shelves:
How to build a craft island:
1. Determine leg height and drill pocket holes in one side of one end:
2. Prepare shelf.
3/4" plywood middle, 2x2 on two sides, 1x2 on opposite sides.
This is the underside view with all the pocket holes drilled:
Trim pieces attached:
3. Attach legs to 3/4" ply base with 1x2 trim in between legs.
Top view of shelf:
4. Prepare drawer space with 3/4" ply on 3 sides and 1x2 trim for drawer opening:
5. Attach drawer glide cleats on both sides of interior:
6. Attach drawer glides:
7. Construct drawers from 1x5 boards:
8. Attach 1/4" ply base and glides:
9. Attach 1x8 drawer front and faux drawer front to right side:
Prime with Zinsser oil based primer.
Paint two coats white high gloss enamel.
Start with 2x4 braces between the towers:
12. Add 1x3 trim flush to front of towers:
13. The top surface is 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood on top of 1/2" plywood pieces then trimmed out with 1x2:
Add drawer hardware.
I'm linking up to:
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework