Monday, January 6, 2014

"C" is for Craft Island

Build: diy craft island


I built this craft island for a friend.  
This craft island resides in her new home in the basement (which explains the overhead lighting as there are very few small windows).

Inspired by this Houzz find:


This diy version is the perfect designated craft space for her four kids.
The top measures 56" x 56":


One drawer in each tower with 2 open shelves:




How to build a craft island:

1. Determine leg height and drill pocket holes in one side of one end:


2. Prepare shelf.  
3/4" plywood middle, 2x2 on two sides, 1x2 on opposite sides.
This is the underside view with all the pocket holes drilled:


Trim pieces attached:


3. Attach legs to 3/4" ply base with 1x2 trim in between legs.
Attach shelf:


Top view of shelf:



4. Prepare drawer space with 3/4" ply on 3 sides and 1x2 trim for drawer opening:


5. Attach drawer glide cleats on both sides of interior:


6. Attach drawer glides:


7. Construct drawers from 1x5 boards:


8. Attach 1/4" ply base and glides:


9. Attach 1x8 drawer front and faux drawer front to right side:


10. Sand.
Prime with Zinsser oil based primer.
Sand.
Paint two coats white high gloss enamel.

11. Assemble.
Start with 2x4 braces between the towers:


12. Add 1x3 trim flush to front of towers:


13. The top surface is 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood on top of 1/2" plywood pieces then trimmed out with 1x2:


Add drawer hardware.

I'm linking up to:
Inspiration Exchange @ City Farmhouse
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

7 comments:

Hopping Along said...

DId you use poplar 2x2's for the legs? They are so smooth and square... unlike the furring strips I usually find.

Katy said...

I LOVE THIS!!!
I think this is one of my favorite things you've built. maybe because I really want one of my own! :)

Jaime Costiglio said...

Legs - yes Hopping Along the legs are made from 2x2's. I used select white pine, not furring strips. The pine runs about $9 for a 8' board but worth the extra cost and they only recently started stocking them at my Home Depot in June.

Meg Sluyter said...

Hi Jamie, I saw this at Funk Junky. I LOVE it! I want something just like this in my craft room, once I get to organizing it that is. Thanks for sharing how you did it :)

Whitney Surane said...

Yay! I so want one!!

Sarah Vanderkooy said...

Beautiful island, love how clean and organized it is. Thanks for the detailed tutorial.

Jileen said...

Wow Jamie, I just found your blog and it so flipping cool! We are going to embark on our playroom a few months from now and this craft island is such a great inspiration. Thanks!