Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"I" is for Ipad Stand

Build: diy personalized ipad stand


I combined the Shanty girls ipad stand with Angie's Roost ipad stand to make this personalized ipad stand.


It's a fast and easy build using minimal supplies that makes a great holiday gift.


You know I didn't make just one:


I handpainted the letters and sealed everything with clear satin poly.
I purposely choose to keep the plywood edges visible, I actually like the look of the plywood 'stripes' all sandwiched together:

The slot for the ipad is a generous 3/4" wide:


That extra piece of wood at the top of the stand flap is necessary to hide the end of the screws holding the hinge in place.


How to make a personalized ipad stand:

1. Cut wood pieces:

1 - 3/4" plywood @ 11" x 8" (back)
2 - 1x2 @ 8" (base & front edge)
1 - 1 5/8" x 1/4"thick moulding @ 6" (stand flap)
1 - 1x2 @ 1 5/8" (hides screws)

2. Construct using glue and finish nails:


3. Let dry and sand everything smooth.

4. Print out letter for personalization:
I used monogram KK font at 550 point.


5. Center letter print out on wood back and using ballpoint pen trace around letter outline with heavy pressure:


6. The pressure of the ballpoint pen leaves a slight indent in the wood:


7. Paint on and inside the indent using acrylic craft paint:


8. Attach the back stand flap:
** Do not add string until after sprayed with poly.**


9. Spray both sides with clear satin poly to seal:


10.  Staple the end of the jute string to the back and then slide through predrilled hole in flap:


I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

2 comments:

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

This project is wonderful! I can't wait to make some too.

Pippi21 said...

Your Ipad stand gave me an idea..I could use that idea to built a trough for holding markers and eraser for my dry erase calendar. I knew how it should look but didn't know how to achieve the look, now by using your idea, I do..Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas. I want to go back over them to make sure I didn't miss anymore great ideas.