Build: diy crayon holder
This is the last and easiest diy gift build plan from Ana White and myself to finish off the Handmade Holiday series.
Today is the cutest crayon holder you ever did see.
At just over 8" long this crayon holder packs a punch with 29 crayon slots - that's 2 packs of 16 crayons because we love all those colors so much!
Ana designed the plans so you make the holes in the top board then laminate (glue and clamp) all the boards together to make a nice 3x3 square.
Of course you could personalize this crayon holder with the child's name too.
I took Ana's plans and made this crayon holder into a portable lap desk!
My plywood is cut at 9 1/2" x 15" in order to accommodate a 9" x 12" pad of paper.
At the bottom of the portable lap tray I attached a 1x2 to create a ledge:
How to build a crayon holder:
1. Follow Ana's plans and cut your lumber.
2. Glue and clamp 2 boards together - wipe away excess glue:
(This depth is good especially for markers and pencils, for crayons only you can drill the holes through just one board.)
3. Prepare hole layout per Ana's guide:
4. Fold layout in half and punch out holes:
5. Line up guide on wood piece and mark holes with pencil:
6. Clamp board and scrap board underneath to table:
8. I added a tape marker on my drill bit set to the depth of my boards only to let me know once I've hit the scrap wood below:
9. Your holds should go all the way through the board(s):
10. Now glue on the last board(s):
12. Print out lettering.
I used Verdana font at 130 point.
13. Line up lettering over wood and using a ballpoint pen trace letters:
The pressure of the pen will leave an indent in the wood:
14. Paint on and inside the indent.
Fill with crayons and you're ready to wrap up and give.
Thanks Ana for working with me on this Handmade Holiday series, I now have a full arsenal of hand built gifts to give thanks to your free plans.
I'm linking up to:
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework