Thursday, December 19, 2013

"C" is for Crayon Holder

Build: diy crayon holder


This is the last and easiest diy gift build plan from Ana White and myself to finish off the Handmade Holiday series.


Today is the cutest crayon holder you ever did see.


Ana made simple plans for this crayon holder, just 2 cuts and lots of holes - you probably already have some 1x3 scraps lying around for this build.


At just over 8" long this crayon holder packs a punch with 29 crayon slots - that's 2 packs of 16 crayons because we love all those colors so much!


Ana designed the plans so you make the holes in the top board then laminate (glue and clamp) all the boards together to make a nice 3x3 square.


Of course you could personalize this crayon holder with the child's name too.


I took Ana's plans and made this crayon holder into a portable lap desk!




 In place of the bottom board I simply glued the crayon holder onto a 3/4" piece of plywood.
My plywood is cut at 9 1/2" x 15" in order to accommodate a 9" x 12" pad of paper.


At the bottom of the portable lap tray I attached a 1x2 to create a ledge:


 You could make this portable lap tray any size to fit your paper pad and I guarantee kids will love taking their portable lap tray in the car everywhere they go.

How to build a crayon holder:

1. Follow Ana's plans and cut your lumber.


2. Glue and clamp 2 boards together - wipe away excess glue:
(This depth is good especially for markers and pencils, for crayons only you can drill the holes through just one board.)


3. Prepare hole layout per Ana's guide:


4. Fold layout in half and punch out holes:


5. Line up guide on wood piece and mark holes with pencil:


6. Clamp board and scrap board underneath to table:


 7. Use a 3/8" drill bit - this fits crayons, pencils and skinny markers:



8. I added a tape marker on my drill bit set to the depth of my boards only to let me know once I've hit the scrap wood below:


9. Your holds should go all the way through the board(s):


10. Now glue on the last board(s):


And clamp:


11. Sand smooth.

12. Print out lettering.
I used Verdana font at 130 point.


13. Line up lettering over wood and using a ballpoint pen trace letters: 


The pressure of the pen will leave an indent in the wood:


14. Paint on and inside the indent.


Fill with crayons and you're ready to wrap up and give.
Thanks Ana for working with me on this Handmade Holiday series, I now have a full arsenal of hand built gifts to give thanks to your free plans.


I'm linking up to:
Inspiration Exchange @ City Farmhouse
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

6 comments:

By Neymes said...

MUITO BOA ESSA IDÉIA JAME,EU ADORAR.UM FELIZ NATAL PARA VOCÊ E SUA FAMILIA.BEIJO.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL).

Tasha A. said...

Well this is just fabulous! So glad I stopped by from the DIY Show Off party to check it out. Pinning now!

- Tasha @ Designer Trapped in a Lawyer's Body {www.designertrapped.com}

Julia Nyanyo said...

Wow, this is genius! I love to see colouring pens or pencils all lined up just asking to be used, they look so tempting! and the lap tray bit is just brilliant.

CJ Smythe said...

Did I miss something? The instructions say it will hold 32 crayons, but I only counted 29 crayon holes. Where do the other three crayons go?

Jaime Costiglio said...

CJ your are correct, there are only 29 crayon holes. If you desire more holes simply cut your 1x3's longer to accommodate more holes.

Unknown said...

I love this,, I wish I had seen this earlier. Im saving to make for birthday gifts and happies for Christmas this year. Thanks for sharing.